Closed Rhinoplasty: Procedure, Benefits, And Difference Between Open And Closed Rhinoplasty
Do you feel your nose shape could be better?
Do you like a fine, conical nose that enhances your facial appearance? A rhinoplasty or a nose job can do that!
Rhinoplasty is a nose surgery that enhances the aesthetic appearance and functionality of the nose. There are two types of rhinoplasties: open and closed rhinoplasty.
While both rhinoplasties enhance your face and boost your confidence, closed rhinoplasty offers a few extra sets of benefits over open rhinoplasty and, therefore, is more popular. Let’s understand more about closed rhinoplasty.
What is closed rhinoplasty?
Closed rhinoplasty or endonasal rhinoplasty is a nose surgery performed with all incisions within the nostrils on the mucosa. The surgeon numbs the nose with anaesthesia and makes separate surgical incisions or openings inside the left and right nostrils.
It’s less invasive, scarless and causes less swelling than open rhinoplasty. This procedure is recommended for correcting a wide range of nasal issues. Closed rhinoplasty also maintains the natural characteristics of the nose and only hones the existing feature.
You may be surprised to see how little changes to the nose can make a big difference to your appearance.
How does closed rhinoplasty work?
Each closed rhinoplasty is a customised procedure and is planned differently.
The surgeon obtains nose scans before and tailors the surgery plan. On the day of surgery, the surgeon numbs the nose with anaesthesia and makes small incisions strategically inside the nostrils to access mucosa. Then the bones are restructured, and the nose is reshaped to create the desired aesthetic result.
Once the scarless nose job is complete, the surgeon irrigates the incision with an antiseptic solution and closes the incision with dissolvable sutures.
A small cast or splint may be placed over the nose to support the newly formed nose and assist in healing.
Which nasal issues can a closed rhinoplasty correct?
Closed rhinoplasty can address numerous issues of the nose and make your nose and face aesthetically more attractive and appealing. Closed rhinoplasty can modify the following nose types:
- Overly large nose– Nose width and tip should be proportionate to the rest of your face. Closed rhinoplasty can decrease the nose width at the nose base and slim your nose to a conical shape to create a natural facial harmony.
- Bulbous nose or irregular nose shape – Patients particularly choose closed rhinoplasty to refine their nose shape. It resolves aesthetic issues of the nose, such as wide nasal bones, bulbous or droopy tips, or asymmetrical noses and makes their appearance pleasing.
- Flat nose –Some noses look flat or bent. When the columella of the nose is not so strong, it cannot maintain an adequate angle to form a pointed or conical nose and become flat. Rhinoplasty will help create the ideal angle for your nose.
- Unwanted nose bump – A closed rhinoplasty can solve dorsal humps. These are cartilage and bone irregularities that distort the nose’s appearance. A rhinoplasty restructures the nose bridge and tip and creates a better, aesthetically appealing desired nose shape.
Scarless nose surgery can also correct a deviated septum or nasal valve collapse, causing breathing problems. Breathing issues can be solved with functional surgery or a combination of functional and cosmetic nasal surgery.
How is closed rhinoplasty different from open rhinoplasty?
Closed and open rhinoplasty are chosen based on individual requirements.
In open rhinoplasty, the surgeon accesses the internal nose’s bone and cartilage by making a small incision on the patient’s columella, the soft tissue separating the nostrils. This makes open rhinoplasty a relatively more invasive procedure, with a longer recovery than closed rhinoplasty.
Open rhinoplasty allows for total reconstruction of the nose, and this approach is also used for revision rhinoplasty. Open rhinoplasty is preferred whenever more complication is involved or the rhinoplasty’s aim is to improve the nose’s aesthetic and functional aspects.
Closed rhinoplasty is a nose remodelling. It is preferable by patients because it’s scarless, requires lesser downtime for recovery, preserves the nose’s natural anatomy, and is applicable for almost all cosmetic nose corrections.
Individuals who are concerned about scars choose closed rhinoplasty proactively because, technically, there are no signs of surgery after cast removal.
Open rhinoplasty is highly recommended for individuals with nasal deformities, injury or nasal blockage. In contrast, closed rhinoplasty may give excellent cosmetic rhinoplasty results.
If you are seeking rhinoplasty but are unsure about an “open” or “closed” procedure, you can schedule a consultation with our reputable doctors at MPSI to guide you for the suitable option based on your natural nose anatomy, shape and desired outcome.
Who is a candidate for rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is usually recommended above 18. By this age, the facial skeleton matures and undergoes cosmetic changes via rhinoplasty.
Also, the individual must be in good health, with no bleeding comorbidities.
If you take blood-thinning medications, you might have to stop them temporarily.
If you take alcohol, you must take that in moderation. Similarly, if you smoke, you must stop smoking at least 2-3 weeks before and 2-3 weeks after surgery to help in faster healing after surgery.
Benefits of closed rhinoplasty
- Scarless surgery – In closed rhinoplasty, no external cuts, incisions or scars. This is why individuals who are not so confident with a scarring appearance on their faces prefer closed rhinoplasty.
- Shorter surgery time – Open rhinoplasty preferably consumes more time because of making external incisions, deconstructing the nose, and closing those incisions. Closed rhinoplasty takes a shorter operating time.
- Faster recovery time – Individuals prefer closed rhinoplasty because of a shorter recovery period. Due to internal incisions and no external cuts or scars, it heals sooner. Generally patients can get back to work seven days after surgery. Until the cast is removed, the patient has to be a little careful about the nose and avoid any activity that would pressurise it.
- Restoration of natural nose anatomy– Patients have lesser swelling or drainage from the nose, as expected in open rhinoplasty.
Why choose MPSI for rhinoplasty
You won’t be able to see immediate results of rhinoplasty and wait for several months to see the desired results. A surgeon’s expertise is vital in determining a surgery’s success. If you are looking forward to having a closed or open rhinoplasty, you can choose MPSI for the following reasons.
- Expert cosmetic surgeons Dr Adnan Tahir and Dr Rory McGoldrick each with 20+ years of experience.
- Excellent standard of professionalism
- Excellent patient reviews
- Satisfaction of seeking the advanced cosmetic surgery
MPSI is run by highly qualified plastic surgeons Dr Adnan Tahir and Dr Rory McGoldrick, with expertise in doing flawless surgeries.
Choose MPSI, and look radiant and flawless.